Shopping as prayer

posted by Kaihsu Tai on December 19th, 2005

shopping as prayer

Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Lead us not into temptation
but deliver us from evil.

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

9 Comments

1. On December 19, 2005 at 15:01 andii said:

Very intriguing. The title really hooked me, but I like the juxtaposition of words and pictures.
    It’s just possible you or other readers might like to take things a bit further at
    ?

2. On December 20, 2005 at 15:09 Dr Kaihsu Tai (Oxford, England) said:

The prayer of Jesus took on a new meaning for me whilst praying it in the Environment Sunday service earlier this year.

3. On December 21, 2005 at 11:01 andii said:

Could I encourage you to say a bit more about that last comment? I’m really intrigued.

4. On December 23, 2005 at 23:56 Mike (Worcester) said:

Yes, Kaihsu, please elaborate!

And thanks for the link about “One Year Performance.” Do you have the DVD of this? Sometimes I’ve felt like my long hikes were just performances determined by strict rules. “I will walk from Canada to Mexico. I will sleep outdoors each night. I will carry everything I need for each day’s eating and sleeping. I will follow any trail markers I see, for as long as I see them….”

5. On December 26, 2005 at 05:03 Dr Kaihsu Tai (Oxford, England) said:

I do not have much else to say in an orderly fashion, but I found the Archbishop of Canterbury’s reflection on the prayer of Jesus on the BBC website.

Sorry, I do not have Tehching Hsieh’s DVD. This is not a very useful comment, is it?

6. On December 28, 2005 at 14:12 Dr Kaihsu Tai (Oxford, England) said:

Earlier, in these pages, I wrote: “we who are used to drinking Cuban orange juice and cooking with Palestinian olive oil sometimes forget how blessed and how subversive it is to have a connexion to those who grow our food beyond merely ‘everyday low prices’.” I suppose that is close to what I wanted to say here. I have a little springlet of thought about the doctrine of ‘gentle trade’, which I would like to develop further ‘when I have time'(!).

7. On January 22, 2006 at 12:13 Dr Kaihsu Tai (Oxford, England) said:

The Saturday 21st January 2006 entry in Christian Aid‘s Prayer diary says:

Lord God, be with me every day of this week:
    helping me to choose carefully,
    helping me to spend wisely,
    helping me to decide thoughtfully.
    And so may every purchase I make be done as if it was a gift to you.
    Amen.

8. On February 14, 2009 at 17:47 Mike said:

Tehching Hsieh’s one-year peformances

9. On March 7, 2009 at 22:23 Kaihsu Tai said:

Suitably, I saw Tehching Hsieh’s (record of) One-Year Performance (1980/1981) on the top of the rotunda of Guggenheim New York today.