508 #12: Icy sidewalks

posted by Mike on December 7th, 2007

00001508 is a show about Worcester. This week, Mike is joined by Brendan Melican and Bruce Russell.

Brendan points out an interesting story about people avoiding jury duty in East Brookfield. The T&G website features odd comments on a photo about Shrewsbury’s menorah (related blog post: “It’s time for a ceasefire in the Christmas culture wars”), and a man who’s been in prison 30 years.

Mike reads the Worcester Local First brochure and the Coalition of United Students’ Distorientation Guide. He’s been leafleting for Vegan Outreach at the local colleges, and notes that WPI students have an attitude. Brendan recommends Rolling Stone’s article on factory pig farming.

Bruce notes that many sidewalks are still icy, and threatens to sue or destroy the city.

Don’t miss the Stone Soup 1st anniversary party!

You can download the mp3, subscribe to the feed, or see other formats.

Worcester rephotograpy
Winslow lot, soon to be home to a park. Celebration Nov 17, 2006, and during construction, Dec 3, 2007.
DSCN814200002

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 Comments Leave a comment.

1. On December 7, 2007 at 14:14 Mike said:

In re: WPI. This morning I talked to a WPI student who says there’s not much leafleting on campus at all.

2. On December 9, 2007 at 17:27 Jeff said:

I noticed on your pictures of the City of Worcester Dis-Orientation guide that there was “crowtown up!” on the both the first page and the last page, so I searched around to find the Crowtown site with interesting Tee shirts for sale and a handful of local links.

I’m curious about the background behind “crowtown” though… What does it mean, jellybean?

3. On December 10, 2007 at 01:20 Mike said:

“Crowtown” also appears in the opening credits to the Snow Ghost Community Show.

I know it’s the preferred city nickname down at Happy Birthday Mike Leslie, so you might check with Jacob Berendes.

4. On December 10, 2007 at 09:33 Jeff said:

Tnx, Mike… I constantly find myself in this recursive function of karass wherein one moment I’m completely oblivious of such kewl goings on, and the next moment I feel like I’ve known the whole crew forever. I drive by HBML every day, too…

5. On December 11, 2007 at 12:27 wsmith said:

hi do you have more info about the worcester google searches you discussed in the 508podcast

6. On December 11, 2007 at 12:32 Mike said:

Here’s the Google map from the Disorientation Guide folks.