508 #269: Why to Vote
posted by Mike on October 28th, 2015
508 is a show about Worcester. This week is our pre-election special. We talk about LARPing ombudsmen, the expected value (in dollars) of your vote, and how to vote strategically in the election.
- “Why Voting Is Like Donating Thousands of Dollars to Charity”
- The Myerson-Weber tactical voting strategy
- Q: “Did you like being the mayor?” Ex-Mayor Konnie Lukes: “It was an overwhelming task for a ceremonial position.” “>[PDF]
- “Problems that can be solved in theory (e.g., given large but finite time), but which in practice take too long for their solutions to be useful, are known as intractable problems.”
- Have any Worcester mayors since 1970 provided more leadership and agenda-setting than the City Manager?
- Do you think the expected value of a Worcester vote is more or less than $10? Why?
- In what situations do you think bullet voting makes sense?