508 is a show about Worcester. This week, we talk about the Worcester Redevelopment Authority’s latest Urban Redevelopment Plan with urban planner Paul Dell’Aquila.
508 #273: Urban Redevelopment
508 #272: Mercy Matters
508 #271: Sneaker Nerds
508 #270: Nerds
508 #269: Why to Vote
508 is a show about Worcester. This week is our pre-election special. We talk about LARPing ombudsmen, the expected value (in dollars) of your vote, and how to vote strategically in the election.
- “Why Voting Is Like Donating Thousands of Dollars to Charity”
- The Myerson-Weber tactical voting strategy
- Q: “Did you like being the mayor?” Ex-Mayor Konnie Lukes: “It was an overwhelming task for a ceremonial position.” “>[PDF]
- “Problems that can be solved in theory (e.g., given large but finite time), but which in practice take too long for their solutions to be useful, are known as intractable problems.”
- Have any Worcester mayors since 1970 provided more leadership and agenda-setting than the City Manager?
- Do you think the expected value of a Worcester vote is more or less than $10? Why?
- In what situations do you think bullet voting makes sense?
508 #268: Candy Mero-Carlson
508 #267: Linda Parham
508 #266: Technocopia
508 is a show about Worcester. This week we visit Technocopia, a Worcester makerspace. Their dream is to move from their Gateway Park location to the Printer’s Building downtown, alongside the Worcester Think Tank and IA Design. You can support this project and also back an open-source robotics project developed there.